Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mumbai!

So much to say about this city! Teeming masses, jam-packed rush hour trains(people hold on to the edges, hanging out the door) so many conflicting, mingling smells, some delicious, some just shit. The food has been wonderful, so cheap, so tasty, with the benefit of many unique and wonderful tastes I've never had before. So much to say, but I'll spare you all the details and just note a few highlights.

I had the fortuitous luck to meet a few natives who weren't desperate to sell me weed/hash/tour direction, meeting a Punjabi Sikh named Gurjot in a coffeeshop where all the other tables were occupied. We hit it off, agreeing that we both wanted to live our lives simply, seeking that which gave us the most pleasure. We wandered around together for an afternoon and then parted before vowing to meet again in northern India, where Gurjot will show me around his native state and generally wine and dine me.

Spent another day as an extra for a tourist movie and got to meet a few more Western tourists. Most foreigners seem to travel in groups or as a couple, so I've had some trouble getting to know many of them, but I met a cool Canadian, Australian and Brit during the day of shooting.

I will be leaving Mumbai this Thursday for Goa, a state some 600 km south of Mumbai. Goa has beautiful beaches and a lot of tourists, but I'll be heading to the somewhat quieter south Goan beaches. Sun, seafood and yoga in my future!

2 comments:

  1. Hold it, hold it, hold it. You can't just drop that you were involved in some movie shooting and then just move on.

    Did you have to wear a fanny pack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fanny pack for me, although the movie had a strange idea of how to attract people to come to India. The first scene we shot consisted of an Indian guy bumping a Western tourist and then leering lecherously at her. The second had a typically Indian man steal a western tourists purse. Come to India and get ogled and mugged!

    ReplyDelete